Voluntary Neighborhood Association
We meet the 3rd Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm. In January, we hold our Annual General Meeting. Our next General Meeting will be on Thursday, January 26, 2023.
Welcome to the new Keystone Point voluntary Neighborhood Association website. We hope you find the site informative, interesting and helpful.
Keystone Point is a gated community that consists of 880 single-family homes. KPNA is a duly elected group of volunteers that work to preserve and improve: NEIGHBORHOOD, QUALITY OF LIFE & PROPERTY VALUES for Keystone Point.
KPNA represents Keystone Point to Miami-Dade County and the City of North Miami to ensure that our voices are heard in decisions that affect our Community.
KPNA sponsors and hosts the "Keystone Kids' Club" which brings our neighbors with kids together through organized events and activities for children of all ages. The club helps build camaraderie and expand neighborhood ties.
KPNA has a social component that organizes neighborhood get-togethers on both "land and sea" as a way to have some fun and strengthen our relationships.
KPNA hosts the community website, the KPNA Facebook page (still listed as Keystone Point Homeowners Association), and sends e-mail blasts to our residents. The website is an important resource for information about Keystone Point. It has everything from emergency alerts, crime watch news, lost pets, breaking news in the City, neighborhood news, community forums and discounts from local merchants.
We would love to get your feedback on this site as well as the community you live in so please take some time to join our association.
We hope you enjoy exploring your new website.
The Board of Directors
Keystone Point Neighborhood Association
2023 BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President – Karen DeLeon
1st Vice President – Jeff Sharmat
2nd Vice President – Robin Tisdahl
Treasurer – Sandy Marks
Secretary – Tina Siddall
Parliamentarian – Steve Bass
Arch Creek, and the area surrounding it, was one of six Tequesta Indian occupation sites built along Dade County estutaries. The Tequestas established other campsites at the Oleta River, Surfside, Little River, the Miami River, and Snapper Creek. Arch Creek, however, was unique. It had a natural limestone bridgespanning 60 feet, from which the Indians could fish and which provided a raised, dry highway to the Everglades.
Other factors contributed to the idyllic setting at Arch Creek. There was an oak hammock near the creek, which provided shade, as well as edible plants, nuts and berries.Biscayne Bay,
Aerial Photo of Keystone Point - 1968
less than a half-mile away was a prime food source for the Tequestas; there they caught shellfish, shark, manatee, and turtle. North of the hammock were pine flatlands, which sheltered the all-important coontie plant (Zamia Integrifolia), whose roots the Indians ground to make an edible starch product. Tequesta habitation sites characteristically have midden areas or Indian garbage dumps. The gradual decomposition of refuse, including plant material and animal bones, produces a rich black soil. Many artifacts have been preserved in the soil, and archaeologists have uncovered many of them, such as bone points, shell tools, and pottery shards. During their centuries of occupation (from c. 400 A.D. to c. 1200 A.D.), the Arch Creek Tequestas had what appears to be a fairly comfortable lifestyle, supported by the abundant natural resources at the site.
Arch Creek was an early settlement in Miami-Dade County, Florida, in present-day metropolitan Miami. Tequesta Indians thrived here before the first Europeans arrived in the early 16th century. Keystone Point is a waterfront enclave of single-family homes and estates at the South Eastern section of Arch Creek. It is part of the Arch Creek Memorial Park at 1855 Northeast 135th Street, on Biscayne Boulevard. It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on July 15, 1986.
During the Seminole Wars, General Abner Doubleday (often credited with inventing baseball) blazed a trail between Fort Lauderdale and Fort Dallas on the Miami River. This Military Trail crossed over the limestone bridge, traversing the freshwater creek flowing from the Everglades to Biscayne Bay. In 1895, Henry Flagler's railroad reached Arch Creek as it expanded southward, bringing a steady stream of visitors and settlers, largely from east coast states.
The first families to settle the area planted tomatoes and pineapples. A railroad depot was established in 1903. Soon after, a packing plant, a sawmill, a post office, and a school were erected as the town began to grow. By 1910, the area was a popular place for tourists and community gatherings. The "shell house" sold souvenirs, postcards, and refreshments. On weekends, families from many miles away would attend barbecues with as many as 500 people. "Dad" Wiggins, the self-proclaimed best barbecue chef in Florida, would start slow-cooking large amounts of meat and families would bring baked goods, side dishes, and desserts while kids played along the banks of the creek. By 1912, the community included eighteen homes, a church, a general store, a blacksmith shop, and two tomato packing houses.
By 1920, the population of Arch Creek had grown to 307. The Biscayne Canal was dug in 1924 to reduce flooding of farmland. During the Florida land boom of the 1920s, portions of the community were subdivided and sold to northern tourists as residential lots. On February 5, 1926, the incorporated Town of Miami Shores was established by a vote of 38 registered voters. A destructive hurricane in September 1926 brought land sales to a halt. However, the proceeds of a $287,000 bond issue were used to build a new city hall in 1928. The Arch Creek school burned down in 1927 and was replaced in 1928 by the W.J. Bryan school, which is still in operation. The town kept the name of "Miami Shores" until 1931. In 1952 it was incorporated into the City of North Miami.
In 1957, the first of many threats against the future of the natural bridge materialized. The bridge was endangered by a plan to drain low lying areas as part of a flood prevention program. The Army Corps of Engineers wanted to blow up the bridge or re-route the creek. A 1957 newspaper article announced that "the bridge must be sacrificed for better drainage of the area." Protests from members of the local Audubon Society, the Historical Association of Southern Florida and the Dade Conservation Council prevented any of this destructive action.
Things remained quiet until the 1970s when Arch Creek became the property of the Chrysler Corporation. Their plans called for the construction of an automobile showroom, and a new and used car agency. In 1972, Chrysler requested a zoning change from the City of North Miami, which would have allowed them to pave the area and build a garage on the property. Vigorous opposition came from the Tropical Audubon Society, the Miami-West India Archaeological Society, the Keystone Point Homeowners' Association, and the members of the Arch Creek Trust. After almost a year, of intense lobbying, the State of Florida agreed to purchase the land for a state park. The State's Land Acquisition Trust allocated $822,000 to buy 7.9 acres (32,000 m2) of property east of the Creek.
A group of local citizens, who later formed the organization Arch Creek Trust, went to Tallahassee in February 1973, to finalize the agreement. On the night they returned, the natural bridge collapsed and fell into the creek. Rumors of sabotage ran through the community, and the Metro-Dade Police Bomb Squad was called out. Nothing was discovered, and experts generally agreed later that the fall was probably due to constant vibrations from passing trains, or erosion, or just old age and decay. In the years that followed, there were various efforts to restore the bridge, clear the property of trash and save additional land in the area.
The porous oolitic (pronounced oh-a-li-tic) limestone bridge was laced with roots from the oak trees growing on both banks of the creek, and likely those roots were what was holding the rock together. A number of trees near both ends of the bridge were removed, thus killing the roots. Then in order to keep vehicular traffic from using the bridge, it was blocked off by boring a row of large holes through the road at both ends of the bridge and standing discarded wooden railroad ties in the holes. When the bridge collapsed it broke along the two rows of "perforations" drilled for the ties.
Source & for more City of North Miami history, visit the Greater North Miami Historical Society's Facebook page.